Monday, October 15, 2007

Crabbing!

This weekend Eric and I went crabbing in Newport. Here are some pictures from our adventure.
Check out this crazy monster truck we saw...we had to get out and take some pictures with it.

This thing is so big I can't even reach the handle!

Here is the bridge at Newport Harbor

This is a picture of Newport Harbor

Some locals....it must be a hard life. :)

A little artistic shot...buoys on the dock

Eric "the crabber" Johnson. The long walk from the car to the end of the dock.

Eric getting ready....how do you tie a figure 8 knot again??

This is the bait we used. Check out the teeth on him. I ventured onto the fishing pier and asked some of the local fisherman for some crabbing bait. Eric tried but no one helped him. I guess it's a woman's job. :)

Throwing in the first pot. We borrowed the crab rings from one of Eric's co-workers at WOU. It was our first time using the rings.

This is me pulling up my crab pot. "Big Green"

Eric's big catch! Just kidding....we caught bigger crabs than this one. This is a Red Rock Crab. You only eat the claws of these guys. We found out you are allowed to keep 24 red crabs per person and you can keep the males and the females. Dungeness crabs you are only allowed to keep 12 per person and they have to be males that are of a certain size and up.

Me and a starfish! They get caught in the rings and the pots. You are allowed to keep starfish below 10 pounds. Crazy!

Well we ended up catching a couple of girl dungeness crabs that we couldn't keep and some males but they were too small. We did get a bunch of red rock crabs but they are too much work for such little meat. So we came home empty handed. But we had a lot of fun and did get to have a bowl of Mo's world famous clam chowder, plus I got to spend some time with my honey. All in all it was a great weekend.
Love,
Ashlie and Eric










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys have so much fun !

Anonymous said...

Ed...this blog thing is great. Almost seems like I'm there. Cool.